Mipim 2020 is no longer taking place in June or in the French Riviera town of Cannes, the organisers have announced.
The property trade show will instead go ahead this September in the capital city Paris, although no precise dates are included in the latest announcement by Reed Midem. Further details are to be announced in the coming weeks.
It is another blow for the 2020 edition of the international property fair, which has now been postponed twice. Late last month, it was moved to June 2-5, after the respiratory disease Covid-19 spread into France, preventing the four-day event from going ahead in the second week of March as originally scheduled.
Mipim in September will also be smaller, held over two days primarily as a networking event. The Mipim website said on Wednesday evening that exhibitors and visitors can get their money back or to have their 2020 fees carried over to next year’s show.
Accompanying the new fair is a digital platform called Mipim Connect, set to launch in April. Reed Midem said it will host content, networking and business tools and be free to ticketholders.
Explaining the latest postponement, Filippo Rean, real estate division director at Reed Midem, said: ‘The situation surrounding Covid-19 is changing daily and government measures are becoming increasingly restrictive. It is clear that holding a large Mipim tradeshow in Cannes in June is not feasible given the rapid spread, devastating impact and uncertain evolution of the virus.
‘As it is not possible to organize a traditional Mipim by the end of this year, we are planning a different form of gathering for clients in the autumn in Paris, plus a digital experience, Mipim Connect. These aim to help the industry start to recover and are the precursors of Mipim in Cannes in March 2021.’
Ronan Vaspart, Mipim director, said: 'Together with our partners in Cannes, we look forward to welcoming everyone back to Cannes in March 2021 for an excellent Mipim and, in the meantime, we hope people stay connected and, above all, safe.'